Get your B.A. in Professional & Technical Writing (starting fall 2020)
About the Major
Do you want to help readers grasp business and technical concepts by writing clear content? In this major, you will learn to communicate complex information effectively across different cultures, abilities, and technologies.
Learn to write clearly and effectively
Implement flexible strategies for communicating in a variety of genres
Apply various research strategies
Five of the six thriving industries in the state of Arizona employ technical writers. With this major, you will be prepared to pursue careers or graduate studies in fields requiring highly developed writing skills and technical knowledge, including:
- Technical writer or editor
- Content strategist
- Project manager
- User experience research and design leader
- Policy analyst
- Science writer
- Legal support specialist
- Social science researcher
Intern with community businesses. Engage in local community and industry writing projects that will provide valuable professional preparation.
Receive training in critical reading and thinking, editing, research, communication genres and styles, rhetorical theory, and practices of digital communication.
Sample courses include:
- ENGL 313: Introduction to Professional and Technical Writing
- ENGL 385: Environmental Writing
- ENGL 430: User Experience Research in Professional and Technical Writing
- ENGL 4XX: Writing for Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Audiences
- ENGL 414: Advanced Scientific Writing